Real World Strategies for Success
by Sandra Snow
On this extraordinary DVD, master conductor Sandra Snow outlines a new paradigm for choral teaching and rehearsing within performance-based classes.
Through emphasizing how to develop teaching strategies from the podium, Dr. Snow presents a systematic, pragmatic approach to:
- Developing diagnostic rehearsal Strategies
- capitalizing on teachable moments in rehearsal
- Productive score study
- Unlocking imagination in teaching
- Formulating a personal yet authentic interpretation of a piece
- Planning rehearsals based on one’s individual musical interpretation
- Increasing keyboard skills for rehearsal
- Learning how to listen to one’s choir with discriminating ears
• An Organic Approach to Musical Understanding
• Knowing the Score • Unlocking Imagination in Teaching • From Imagination to Inspiration: The Productive Rehearsal • Expertise with a little “e”: The Path to an Engaged Classroom
DVD Contents: The Role of the Conductor/Teacher
DVD Extras: Choral Pedagogy: Tag Team Brainstorming • Choral Pedagogy: Talk Aloud and No
Talking Rehearsal Exercises • Personal Reflections from a Young Teacher’s Perspective – Kristina MacMullen & Marta Harrison • Vocal Warm-ups: Sandra Snow/High School Women • Vocal Warm-ups:
Jonathan Reed/University Men • Deep Listening Exercises: S. Snow/High School Women • Rote Teaching of Somagwaza: J. Reed/University Men • Schubert’s “Der Tanz” Rehearsal Techniques: S. Snow/High School Mixed
The heart of this DVD features 38 mini-rehearsal segments of Dr. Snow, Jonathan Reed, and colleagues teaching and leading a variety of mixed, women’s, and men’s choirs at the high school and college levels. These segments model how to continually analyze and respond to the sounds being produced by an ensemble.
Extensive, full-color animated graphics support the score study and analysis sections of this DVD, as well as the helpful, step-by-step demonstrations of the process of improving keyboard and perceptive listening skills.
For any practitioner of the choral arts, this DVD takes a groundbreaking approach to the role of the conductor/teacher, helping to bring true growth to the musicianship of choral singers.
Sandra Snow is Associate Professor of Music Education and Choral Conducting at the Michigan State University College of Music. She is a nationally known choral clinician, conductor, and music educator.
Jonathan Reed is Professor of Music and Associate Director of Choral Programs at the Michigan State University College of Music.
Time: Approx. 140 minutes